Summer Reading: my list
I have mentally compiling my summer reading list for the last couple weeks as I finally find myself with open reading time (glorious, glorious summer!). I know I won’t get through all of these (my eyes are bigger than my stomach, so to speak), but I love realizing how many potentially good reads there are out there. Share yours too, won’t you?
- Vanessa & Virginia by Susan Sellers-one of my books to review, but my love of V. Woolf makes this one extra special
- Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich- review book, looks relatively light though so I think it will be perfect for a lazy day in the back yard or at the beach with the kids
- The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz- recommended by three good friends, and my husband
- Stone Virgins by Yvonne Vera – a friend of mine wrote a brilliant paper on this book so I think it deserves my attetion soon
- Land of Marvels by Barry Unsworth-another review book. I tried to start it during my semester, but it deserved my undivided attention so I decided to save it for summer. It looks promising from what I’ve read.
- The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith- I have loved her other books but had never heard of this one
- Love & Obstacles by Aleksandar Hemon
- Run by Ann Pachett- She seems like the perfect summer read author & a friend recommended this one
- Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain- I’ve been trying to get to this one for a year and was interested to see that a new hardcover edition is coming out this summer
- something by Julian Barnes—not sure what yet, but I’ve got Something to Declare on hand so that will probably be it. I read Arthur & George, and Flaubert’s Parrot–1 each the past 2 summers, so I figure it is kind of a tradition now for me.
I’m sure I’ll be adding others as the months go along. Especially because I keep coming across great summer reading lists like these ones at NPR. Oh! I just remembered someone recommended Revolutionary Road to me too. Ah! Never enough reading time.